Have you been a victim of workplace age discrimination?
Workplace age discrimination is when an employertreats someone less favorably because of his or her age. Age discrimination becomes a problem when employees over the age of 40 experience unfair treatment from their employer based specifically on their age. Treatment of this type is clearly illegal under both federal and state law.
Unfortunately, workplace age discrimination is one of the largest growing forms of discrimination and is becoming more prevalent during bad economies. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and Fair Housing and Employment Act (FEHA) protects employees over the age of 40 from being unlawfully terminated, demoted, not selected for promotion or being frozen out of positions to the point where the employee will simply leave due to hostile work environments.
Age discrimination in the workplace can also take place in many types of forms. Some are more apparent while other forms are subtle and unobvious. Examples of age discrimination might include:
• Repeatedly asking an employee, “Are you going to retire?” or “When are you going to retire?”
• Comments such as: “He’s not a good cultural fit for the company,” “We want a more youthful image for our company,” or “We need more young blood in the company.”
• Laying off older employees with the highest salaries first
• A company that refuses to hire anyone who appears older than a certain age
• Refusing to invest in an older employee’s training and growth
• Giving poor performance reviews that are undeserved and then firing the employee based on these negative evaluations
• Passing over an older worker for a promotion and hiring a younger person instead
• Threatening to fire an employee if he/she does not retire
• Forced retirement
Our firm provides a comprehensive representation in the area of workplace discrimination. We work together with a team of top-notch legal experts to ensure that each client has the best possible representation. Our success is derived from the aggressive, dedicated representation we provide to each client. The age discrimination attorneys at Abramson Labor Group confidently explore and address eachissue at hand in order to pursue a resolution to the situation as efficiently and effectively as possible.
If you have been the victim of age bias at your place of work, you should not hesitate to talk to an age discrimination lawyer in California about your situation and your rights. Age discrimination can be very subtle, so if you have a feeling that your employee rights have been violated, the smartest thing to do is talk to a lawyer.
Contact our office to speak with one of our Age Discrimination Lawyers. There is never a charge for your initial consultation.We will provide you with answers to your questions and give you a thorough and honest assessment of your case.Contact us today and let our attorneys vigorously and aggressively fight for your rights as an employee in California.
Let Abramson Labor Group fight for you and let your voice be heard.